What is a witch?
This is a question I get a lot and I really wish more people would ask. There are so many misconceptions about what a witch is and so many different beliefs. Below are some of the definitions of what a witch is.
- A witch is someone that follows the Wicca religion. While it is true in a strict sense, I don’t think you need to follow the Wicca religion to be a witch any more than you need to practice witchcraft if you do follow the Wicca religion.
- The christian biblical witch. The christian bibles interpretation of a witch is confusing to say the least. At one point it says that you should not practice witchcraft, but in that original text a witch is defined as a person that poisons the mind with words or the body with pharmaceuticals. In all other places it refers to spiritual individuals that do not conform to the then Christian doctrine which changes over time.
- In many countries a witch is just a person that has advanced knowledge and because most people fear what they cannot understand This person is a feared and very often violently prosecuted for their knowledge.
So, what is my definition of a witch?
A witch is a person (male or female) who seeks, defines and practices what can’t be proven with hard science. That doesn’t mean that it isn’t real and many of the practices can be explained and quantified with some of the softer sciences. (Psychology, parapsychology etc.)
Using a combination of mental, spiritual and physical disciplines they can perform acts that seem to defy our normal physical reality. Whether this is because of our lack of knowledge of our true reality or reality adjusting to our beliefs is unknown, but I believe that it is a combination of both.
Some of the practices include:
- Astral-projection – the ability to travel through space and time by temporarily leaving the physical body.
- Devination – contacting spirits to get help in telling the future or with situations. (similar to a fortune teller)
- Spell Casting – channeling the powers of the universe to create a desired outcome.
- Telekenisis – influencing physical matter with thought
- Astrology – Studying the stars and planets and their affect on our lives.
If you would like to add to this list or have any comments, please use the comment form below.